I’m not a big egg person, but sometimes they really hit the spot. I made this dish for brunch on Sunday. It was a great way to use up the remainder of last week’s veggies and start using this week’s. I also tossed in some sausage to add some spice. I can definitely see this as another go to recipe when I’m not sure what to make but need something fast.
I used egg whites in the recipe because that’s what I had. Somehow I never manage to have eggs in my fridge. I buy them but then they get old, expire and are tossed in the bin. Then, I forget to replace them. Somehow having egg whites in the fridge is easier for me. One of my many quirks, I suppose. Egg whites definitely make this dish healthier, but if you’re going to use egg whites, I recommend adding another protein source so that you’re not hungry again ten minutes after eating.
2 cups broccoli, chopped into chunks
1 tomato, chopped into chunks
4 sausage links
2/3 cup egg whites (or 4 eggs)
4 TB goat cheese
Yield: 2 servings
TKT: 15 minutes
- Steam the broccoli until tender but not mushy (4-5 minutes).
- Heat eggs in skillet with tomatoes and sausage. Add broccoli when it is finished steaming and cook together (2-3 minutes).
- Add goat cheese. Try to evenly distribute chunks of goat cheese throughout the skillet.
- Cook together, stirring frequently, until eggs are fully cooked, sausage is heated through, and cheese is melted (4-5 mins).
- Serve hot.
Suggested additions, substitutions and variations:
-You could make this into an omelet instead of scrambled eggs.
– You could use any kind of cheese you like in this dish but I recommend something that melts well and has some flavor. Goat cheese, cheddar cheese, or smoked mozzarella would all be good.